Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Follicular Marketing

It’s unfortunate that moustaches have fallen out of favor.  One of the reasons I casually keep a beard is to shave it off, leaving a well-groomed fu manchu for family photos.  I do this to humor myself and drive my wife crazy, which adds to the humoring.  She knows the lifespan of my moustache is short, yet will still look me square in the moustache and demand its removal.  She wins and I'll head into the workweek cleanly shaven.  I've observed that most men who can seriously pull them off have been sporting the lip sweater for over a decade (thank you, Chuck Norris).  You can look these guys in the eye – not the moustache.  Whereas you can take an image of Kip Dynamite and not even notice he's wielding twin sais because you can't get past the strip on his upper lip.

It’s the Y Generation that can somehow grow a beard without their pals, girlfriends, or wives raising an eyebrow – but trim everything but the cookie duster and you can’t walk through Dierberg’s without moms holding on to their kids.  I guess this is why the moustache, when grown on anyone less than 50 years of age is the perfect marketing tool.  It’s an attention grabber and a conversation starter.  That’s the goal for Movember – starting the conversation and raising awareness for men’s health.

Cheers,

Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment